The purpose of this fund is to assist veterans living in the State of New Jersey with financial need. This fund does not replace the VFW Post Relief fund, but is designed to work in conjunction with it.
Included but not limited to examples of financial assistance:
  • Purchasing materials for ramps and to make house handicap accessible.
  • Make necessary one time payments for gas, electric, or other "necessities" if the veteran falls behind on payments.
  • Purchase batteries for electric wheelchairs or scooters.
  • Assist veterans with security deposits on apartments.
  • Purchase gift cards for food for needy veteran.
  • Emergency vehicle repairs.
  • Emergency housing.
Funds from this account will NOT be used to pay cable bills, car payments, mortgages, cell phone bills or any other bill not deemed a necessity. The maximum allowable assistance to any veteran is $599.00 within a calendar year.
The veteran does not need to belong to the VFW but will need to complete an application form and show their discharge showing proof of active duty service. Dishonorable or Other than Honorable discharges disqualify the veteran for this assistance. "Active Duty for training purposes" does not qualify for financial assistance. The veteran will need to provide documentation/Utility bill showing the need for financial assistance.
The following is a list of the minimum documentation you are required to provide during the application phase:
  • DD-214 or other military separation document
  • Proof of Identity, State issued License, Identity Cards, or Passports are all acceptable.
  • Proof of the hardship you claim, if your income is within the Federal Poverty Guidelines (see chart) or Debt to income ratio due to the hardship.
  • The prior year's state, federal, or tribal tax return (W2 forms or pay stubs are not acceptable)
  • A Social Security statement of benefits*
  • A Veteran Administration statement of benefits* (VA cards alone are not accepted)
  • A retirement/pension statement of benefits*
  • An Unemployment/Workmen's Compensation statement of benefits*
  • Federal or tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance*
If this application is in response to a hardship caused by the COVID-19 outbreak, the above forms will not be necessary. We will, however, need the following:
  •        Proof of loss of income due to the COVID-19 outbreak
  •        Proof of financial hardship due to you or a family member contracting COVID-19
  •        Proof of Identity - State Issued License, Identity Cards, or Passports are all acceptable 
All monies from this fund will be paid directly to the vendor. If any money is to be paid to the veteran directly, it will be decided on a case by case basis by a committee.
Fill out an application here.